Sunday, March 8, 2009

Deconstruction Practice--Due Tuesday, March 17, at Midnight


Which film deconstruction that we performed in class most stimulated your critical thinking skills? Which film deconstruction that we performed in class relates most closely to your four page paper?


Refer to the right side of this screen for what earns you points. This is an image from Mean Girls, a highly "deconstructible" film.

89 comments:

Krispy said...

pd 5
#1
One of the films we analyzed during class was Blood Diamond. It helped me to understand how people were greedy for the diamond and Solomon will do anything for his family. It has helped me to understand the different point of views because my film is Dances with Wolves. It was similar because the white men were greedy for land and the buffalo’s fur and tongue. Also how the Native Americans tried to protect their families.

#2
Blood Diamond: The white men were greedy.
Requiem for a Dream: Shows the mouth repeatedly just as Dances with Wolves shows the landscape often.
American Gangster: Beginning of the film was violent just as in Dances with Wolves, starts with the soldier’s blood from the battle.

Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Anonymous said...

Period 5

#1
The film deconstruction we performed in class that most stimulated my critical thinking skills was Blood Diamond. It helped me understand different symbols and irony. It made me realize that everything that is done on camera is on purpose. Things like lighting, camera angles, close-ups, what they are wearing, and the music playing.

#2
The film deconstruction that we performed in class that most relates to my paper would be I've Loved You So Long. It most closely relates to my paper because of the different symbols like water and fire. There are symbols like these in, The Pursuit of Happyness. They both deal with people being in pain, even if it isn't physical. They also share the same symbol, owning your own place. It is a symbol for freedom and independence. In, The Pursuit of Happyness, Chris struggles to keep his home and then when he loses it they never have a real home again. He has homeless shelters and the streets to live in.

Dani S. said...

The film that most stimulated my critical thinking skills was when we watched Blood Diamond. There were many symbols that caught my eye. Everything from the language they spoke to the young kids with guns. I think the fact that they chose a white guy to bond with a black guy was also a very symbolic trait to the film. Blood Diamond helped me to realize the things that we aren't always looking for in films, things that are hiding but still symbolize something. The film that most relates to my four page paper is I've Loved You So Long. This film related to my film, Million Dollar Baby, because Million Dollar Baby is also about a middle aged woman who just wants to find her place in society. Juliet, in I've Loved You So Long, is like Maggie, in Million Dollar Baby, because Maggie had been pushed around by her family and has never really been happy with her life living pay check to pay check just trying to get by. Maggie really didn't have a social life. Juliet has been put away in prison for the past 15 years of her life so she was not happy either and was also very lonely. Both films show the girls trying hard to fit in with everyone as Juliet did at the dinner party.

Erica E said...

pd.1
P.S. I love you is the movie I liked best that we watched. The whole plot how the husband was dead and still "living" with her the whole movie got me thinking. I would be very happy if that happend to me in my lifetime but its really not realistic but it makes the movie great.


Fox and the Hound relates to my movie because throughout the movie the todd and copper become to hate eachother but in the end todd still tries to save copper from the bear. In my movie Ben Wade and Dan Evans don't like each other but Ben in the end still does what Dan wants him to do by getting on the train. It shows that human beings or animals do have hearts, they might not show it all the time but when it comes down to it they will show their true character in the end.

Derek H said...

P.3

The deconstruction of Saint Ralph most stimulated my critical thinking skills. The reason for this is because even though it is a comedy, you are required to pull out the good that the film presents. You have to find out why this kid would go to all this trouble and train for a marathon just for his mother. It shows the value of family and the lengths people go to or would go to, to make their loved ones healthier. It may be a comedy, but you can get a lot more out of it than just humor.

I would have to say that the deconstruction of Platoon most closely rates to my paper over Remember the Titans. In Platoon the men/soldiers are thrown it a fight, similar to the way the whites and blacks are thrown onto the same football field fighting for a starting position. Also, when the soldiers in Platoon are dropped off, they no nothing or little to nothing about the guy standing next to them. This is similar to when the white and black players will not talk to each other at camp and therefore do not get along on the field, but when Coach Boone requires that each white and black teammate get to know some particulars about each other or else they would have three practices a day.

Rachel S said...

Pd 1
I found the film I’ve Loved You For So Long to be full of symbolism. Symbolism is key to an excellent movie in my opinion. Symbolism adds more meaning to the story and gives the viewer more information to detain. It makes the film more interesting. Also certain use of lighting from this film is meaningful. For example, when half the characters face is in shadow this could possible show that the character is scared from something or depressed, whatever the viewer depicts from it. Everything that is shown in a movie is usually on purpose, when it comes to the lighting, music, close-ups, and symbols.

The film P.S. I Love You related most to my film deconstruction I’m doing for the movie Juno. Both movies are about love and how simple coincidences help to make a movie work. Also, certain fonts of headings of different scenes are not chosen by random but add to the movie. The font style for different scenes for the movie P.S. I Love You looks like it was written by hand or in a notebook, this is also true for Juno. When there is a new season for Juno it is written in a notebook style across the screen for the viewer to see. Also, I learned that when a small group of two or more people are left stranded by accident or their default, it usually leads to the group having a deep conversation that they’re forced to have. Isolation helps with setting up for a more deeper conversation.

Lori D. said...

pd. 7
I feel that the movie that most stimulated my creative thinking was the original Lord of the Flies. Through class discussions and my own observations I realized that movies can have more meaning than what is on the surface. It really makes a movie more enjoyable to have a deeper understanding of what is happening. For example I learned to notice where shadows we falling and was able to understand why and what they represented.The film that we deconstructed in class that related closely with my film was I’ve Loved You for So Long. The main character of that film has many similar issues as the main character in my film. The woman, after being imprisoned for fifteen years has now found herself alienated from society, and has a difficult time fitting in. Pink, in The Wall, has the same alienation issues because of how he grew up and has not been accepted throughout his life.

Chad A. said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Chad A. said...

P3
Gran Torino was most stimulating for me and was easiest to apply to my paper. The reason it was interesting to me was that I had already seen it. The other movies I had not seen and didn’t want to deconstruct. I like to enjoy movies at face value at first, and then if the movies are worth a second view, get the deeper meaning. Gran Torino has American flags, hard working war veterans, and invading Asians, it poses the question where is American headed. Just as I think my movie, Office Space does with cubicles, eight bosses, and get rich quick schemes. This countries youth is often portrayed as lazy and unwilling to work in both films. The main characters are miserable until they go against the normal and do things they usually wouldn’t. Their actions led to tragic consequences but with more good than bad overall.

Alyssa C. said...

P.3
#1
The film Platoon, which we decontructed in class, stimulatied my critical thinking the most. It showed me how certain scenes represent things you wounldn't think. The scene where the soldiers are digging wholes, can be scene as them digging their own graves. Mood can be set by simple objects, like the sun shining through the trees, sets a mood of hope.

#2
The film we seen in class that relates to my movie is Thelma and Louise. Thelma and Louise break free from who they once are and get to know who they truly are. In The Breakfast Club, the movie i am deconstructing, the teens spend a day breaking down what society tells them are and find who they really are too. Both movies can be scene as people finding themselves and living out their hidden dreams.

Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Britt W said...

Period 3

The movie that most stumulated my critical thinking skills was Saint Ralph. The movie is full of symbols, I think a large amount of movies that are comedies have more symbolism than many other types of movies. In Saint Ralph there are many different symbols, there was a biblical reference to the Priest when he was watching over the students in the yard like a shepard watches over his flock. There was also a symbol of hypocracy when the Priest said nothing gets past him when something had already gotten past him.

The movie that related most closely to my film was "I've Loved You so Long". In this film the woman is trying to fit back in with her family and sister and the rest of society and is having problems just like Walt did in "Gran Torino". We can infer that when Walt returned after the war he was a changed man just like Juliet was when she was let out of prison, Walt doesn't even have a good relationship with his own children. Also in both of the movies the to people are trying to overcome and get over the fact that they took someone elses life but they are different at the same time because Juliet's killing was a 'mercy killing' and some of Walt's killings were killings that he was not ordered to do and that is what bothers him the most. Walt never gets over the fact that he killed all those people during the war but Juliet starts to get over what she did at the end of the movie.

Anonymous said...

truthfully almost all of the movies that we have watched have not stimulated anything. The only one i liked and enjoyed watching was I Have Loved You So Long. although it was difficult to follow and we didnt get to watch much of the film it really made me think about themes which is the whole point of the essay, to find underlying themes or even a theme that is constant like in my movie Cast Away. i dont think that any movies have related to this one at all because all we have watched are movies with the theme of chance, family, and divorce. my movie is more about hope. Mean Girls isnt vey much like cast away excpet for that the main girl is stranded in high school to deal with lots of obstecls just like Chuck is stranded to deal with his own problems.

Jordan A said...

period 3
The film that most stimulated my critical thinking was the movie Platoon. It made me realize that our soldiers are just thrown into battle and have to deal with it. They men were dumped off the plane like cargo and they looked like they didn't expect this. It is just strange that as they are walking to go to fight, dead bodies are laying there as they walk past them. They probably do this to get the soldiers feared right away instead of tensing up in the battle field because they see dead people. There are many things the director does on purpose such as the light shining through the trees to symbolize hope. This movie has many symbols, unique camera angles, and shocking scenes that helped me expand my deconstructing abilities.

The film that most relates to my film deconstruction paper, We are Marshall, is Gran Torino. In Gran Torino, Walt doesn't want anybody to bother him and is grumpy about it just like in We are Marshall where after the plane crash, Mr. Griffen doesn't want people to talk to him about it and releases his anger on the President of Marshall University. Also the camera angles in Gran Torino are mostly the same in that they casually zoom in closer to the person who is talking. Both films can be seen has having the symbol hope involved in them because the priest has hope for Walt, and the students in Marshall have hope for football.

Megan T said...

pd. 1
The film I’ve loved you for so long stimulated my critical thinking skills the most. During the last scene where the viewer’s find out the motives of a mother who voluntarily killed her son and is spilling out her emotions to her sister gives us a great example of powerful acting and symbolism. Everything from the children horsing around(pretending to stab one another) to shadows on the actors face or the weather are symbols that my classmates have noticed and are going to help guide me when searching for symbols in my own deconstruction paper. I’ve loved you for so long is also he movie that relates the most closely to the movie I am writing my paper on. Both of the main characters have suffered from traumatic experiences and are trying to move forward but are always going to carry their unfortunate experience with them.

Anonymous said...

I think watching the movie American Gangster most stimulated my critical thinking skills. I also can relate American Gangster to my movie because men use violence to help get their point across and its just a way of life in both movies. The people in American Gangster and Blood Diamond are greedy and will do whatever is necessary to succeed even if it involves killing innocent people. American Gangster shows how Denzel's character has power and how those who don't obey him and try to overtake him will be punished. In Blood Diamond the R.U.F has power and they do the same things. I think there are many symbols in American Gangster, such as we should not let one person be too controlling. It can almost be related to communism because he is basically making the decisions for all the other people.

Anonymous said...

pd. 3

The movie that most stimulated is Dazed and Confused. This movie was trying to show what adults think of a typical highschooler. It used drugs and alcohol which i thought were symbols of trying to be grown up, but also acting foolish. It also showed people's want to fit in and do what everyone else does so you do. It is a true theory, many people do things they don't want to just so they will be accepted. They are afraid of what people might think of them for being themselves so they change from what they really are to who they think and others think they should be.

The movie that related most to mine was I've Loved You So Long. It related to mine in that both of the main characters suffer from some sort of depression. The main character in I've Loved You So Long kills herself, but the main character in Fight Club essentially kills himself. For both of them it is for the better she kills her son so he doesn't suffer and he kills his second personality who is bad. One major difference is that in I've Loved You So Long she is killing her son so he doesn't suffer, whereas in Fight Club he destroys himself so he and others don't suffer from the terrible things he does. However, you could say she was only thinking of herself when she did it because it her more for her to see him living a painful life so by killing him she puts herself out of misery. So these have a very similar major symbol, killing for the better.

Paige P said...

the movie that helped stimulate my thinking for our papers was the movie blood diamond. after watching it in class and discussing the symbols it helped me to know what to look for while watching my movie (the lion king). there were things that we talked about in class like the guy talking in his native language to his young son and the kids with guys shows the hostility of the movie. i would not have picked these things out if i was watching it by myself... as for the second question i dont think that any of the movies we watched in class really relate to my movie in particular but maybe just the symbols in general do

Jake E said...

The movie that stimulated my thinking the most is the movie platoon. It is full of symbols of how people change from the beginning when they arrive at the war to when they leave at the end of the war. When the people arrive at Vietnam they arrive fresh and appear normal, but the people that are leaving are hardened,pale, and unhuman like. You could say thats how people are born, looking fresh and normal, but when the soldiers are leaving, you could say thats the way people are like when they die and leave this world, looking hardened,pale, and unhuman like.

This movie also compared to my movie "forrest gump" closely to when Forrest goes to war in vietnam. Lieutenant Dan compares to the mean commander pretty well.

Kyera N said...

period 1

Watching the movie that i brought in, P.S. I Love You, was very helpful to me in stimulating my critical thinking. there were things said during class that i did not realize so those things will help me in writing my paper.

Ive loved you so long related to my movie the most because it has people dealing with death and how those people cope with it. It also gave me some ideas about how people do deal with a loss whether it be intentional or not.

William E said...

period 1

#1
I felt that the first one we did was the most stimulating. For the fact that that was the firs time that I have ever watched a movie in the perspective. trying to deconstruct it and looking at it in a way that I have personally never looked at a movie before. It really made me appreciate and focus more on the plot and the connection to the modern world that the movie has.

#2
I feel that Traitor most likely compares to my four page paper becuase in a way it compares to my movie in the fact that it makes middle easterners appear as terriots. Most of the movies that they appear in they are portrayed as bad people or terriots but in this movie they almost seem as if they are good people that are just in a bad place.

Mik D said...

i beleive the movie with the cop in mexico was the movie that stimulated my thoughts the most. it showed strong camara angle that put you in the movie. made you feel like everything was spinning and blury. it made you actualy be the character.
none of the movie related to my film very well or at all. tokyo drift is more about groing up and being except if any movie it would be i've loved you so long with the main character wanted except.

Andrew T said...

pd 7

You know they all helped to stimulate my mind in many different ways. For instance in all the movies you stopped the movie and pointed out little things that i would have never noticed or gotten before. I guess the one that sticks out the most to me was i loved you so much because of its underlying issues and because of its deep emotional meaning and acting of the characters. I really liked how you stopped the movie and pointed out light acting and how it really made you felt. Also No Country for Old Men sticks out because of its reality, especially how there was no music because thats life its not made of music. And no movie we have watched really relates to my video on sports of how poor people trying to get out of the town and why we value sports more, but each movie has made me look at things i haven't looked before and question more and more little things during a movie, which helps me look at my movie more closely. If i were to chose one i would have to say i No country for old men because its reality, and sometimes its so so brutal even when its not fair at all. Like the team worked as hard as the other so is it fair that they lost? Also their is chance in no country for old men and there is chance in friday night lights especially when they have a 3 way tie and its up to a coin flip for 2 who will be in the play offs

Zach S. said...

Pd. 5

The movie that stimulated the most thoughts for me was Platoon. I am not sure if it was because I had saw it once before, but it was the easiest to dig into. I think by showing Charlie Sheen character from when he first arrives really shows how people changed. Oliver Stone used things like Sheen's character throwing up at the sight of a dead body then later looking at dead bodies like they were road kill. I don't think anyone else would have made such a powerful and deep movie as Oliver Stone, being a Vietnam veteran.

The film that was most like 3:10 to Yuma was American Gangster. Both movies in my opinion have you liking the bad guy and wanting him to succeed. Frank is a ruthless criminal that happens to be a good father and husband. Ben Wade is also ruthless, but charms the viewer into cheering for him and wanting to know more about him. I don't think either films would have been as successful without achieving this connection.

Alex W said...

Pd. 1

When we deconstructed P.S. I Love You, that was the movie that I found to stimulate my thinking the most. P.S. I Love You is full of stereotypes and drama. The man in the movie was a typical every girls dream guy, he played the guitar, had an accent, was attractive, always knew what to say, and he always knew what she wanted. This mysterious man is a symbol of what girls love. Girls love an attractive man that is also capable of being soft and sweet. It is the perfect combination that girls die for. Another deconstructable part of this movie is any time he shows up after he is dead. The camera angle, his positioning and lack of interaction with her while she is reading his notes can be symbolize that he is a ghost. Even on the cover of the DVD you can look at it in two ways. One way being that he is physically laying right behind her talking to her or you can interput it in the way that he is a ghost and isn’t really there but in her mind she can “feel” him behind her comforting her though everyday trials she encounters. There are many examples of a times that he helps her without actually being there. One example of this would be the time when she can’t find a job that she will enjoy, but when she throws the remote at a picture of her dead husband his belt buckle falls perfectly and stylishly on top of one of her shoes sparking her career in shoe design.

The deconstruction of Platoon was most similar to my paper. It had a lot of the same symbols, one being the fresh birth of life vs. the hardened reality of life. This movie helped me develop my critical thinking and allowed me to notice more within my own movie. This also showed me the importance of mood within a movie. The mood controls everything and is set off first with music. The music in platoon was perfect and matched and amplified what I was feeling. This is the same as my movie I Am Legend, the music plays a vital role in how the viewer feels.

Christian O said...

Pd. 5

1. the film deconstruction that most stimulated my critical thinking skills was for the movie blood diamond. it helped me to think things that i had never thought about before while watching the movie.

2. the film deconstruction that relates the closest to the dark knight would be of the movie american gangster. it showed many of the same symbols. there was a lot of crime and corruption that one person alone was trying to fight.

Zach S said...

3rd

The film Gran Torino stimulated my mind the most because it was way more interesting than any of the other movies and I had already seen it. Seeing a movie for the first time and deconstructing it is useless to me because i'm too interested in enjoying the movie.

The movie St. Ralph most closely related to my movie because it has many of the same morales and symbols that my film does.

Anonymous said...

pd. 1

The film that stimulated me the most was Platoon. The beginning of it was full of foreshadowing and symbolism. Not only did the body bags forshadow that many of the men will not come back alive, but there was also many biblical references that symbolized that the men could become a martyr of the government. The men were not all men, many of them were boys. Although I know a lot about the history of the wars the United States have faught, I found that the expressions portrayed on the men's faces as they slowly entered to unknown to be enlighting in that they made me think of how it would be to be in their boots. Also, the peaceful screen shots from up above reminded me of how many people at home did not see the hell that was going on down underneath the treeline. The jungle atmosphere also reminded me of the setting and conditions in the movie Predator.
The movie that we analyzed in class that most like mine was also Platoon. Both movies involve wars, though my movie is a war within one country itself. Platoon shows the gritty, and uncompromising part of war and conflict, just how the character V shows the violence of revenge and conflict. Similar to V for Vendetta, Platoon has scenes that let a dark place be lit up by a little piece of light, symbolizing the possibility of hope still being there. Also, both movies show the withering of the human condition as a person is isolated for a longer period of time.

Anonymous said...

pd.5

1) The film that helped my critical thinking skills was American Gangster. The reason it made me think so much was because of all the symbolism. Also because there was a lot of hidden themes and different ways you take the movie and what they meant.

2) The film deconstruction that we did in class that most relates to my film deconstruction paper was Blood Diamond. It relates a lot to my paper because of the racism and classim displayed. Also because of the symbolism.

Thomas R said...

Period 7

The film that most stimulated my critical thinking skills was No Country for Old Men. This film is shocking and terrifying because the cold-hearted killer could exist in real, unlike Jason or Freddy. He is fate and fate controls the world.

The film that most related to mine was Man on Fire. It was about how events in one man's life changed him and the world around him forever. In The Last Samurai this is exactly what happens to Tom Cruises' character.

Tono-chan said...

tina L.
pd. 1

#1 The film that stimulated my critical thinking skills was Platoon. The forest was dark and the light shined only slightly. The light can mean hope because the forest is where the war is at. The darkness conceals the enemy. If you had more light you can see the enemy. Also having more light means more hope in surviving.

2# Platoon is closer to my movie. The forest in my movie has very little light. The light is the hope to getting out of the forest because it is sooo thick. The light can conceal bugs and other enemies, like other villages who might attack!

Ally C said...

#1
Blood Diamond helped me alot because alot of the symbols were obvious. The basic story line pulls you in and helps you understand why they made the movie the way they did. It is an emotional an thrilling movie where everything has a meaning. Talking about it in class helps me alot while writing my paper.

#2
Ive Loved you so long relates close to my movie because its more low key. The two films share the resemblence of how strong ones love can be for eachother, and the risks and things they must go through to deal with their situation. They go above and beyond in both of these films to show how much one person can love and feel so much.

Jayme K said...

The film that we deconstructed in class that most stimulated my cricital thinking skills was Platoon. It really made me think how our soldiers are just thrown into war to fight that it. They dont neccessarily get along with all the men but in the end they really do care for each other. If one man goes down they are all there for each other. Also in the movie it showed a guy digging a hole for protection. That hole is soon to be his grave. Also, the soldiers are a number they are known by that, not by there names. The music also made the movie so much better.

The film that relates to my four page paper is Paradise Road. This movie relates to the Ultimate Gift because the women here are relying on the men to save them and get them out of that camp. On the Ultimate Gift the grandfather is trying to save his grandson by making him realize there is more to life then there is money. Also Paradise Road goes through gross times. The ladies had to pick up the poop and put it into buckets that they later used for fertilizer. This is like my movie because life is not always easy. Emily ends up getting cancer and that is something in life that is never easy.

Carmen L. Period 5 said...

I really liked the movie Requiem for a Dream. It was really easy to notice things that were repetitive, like the mouths, and I also thought that it would be a good movie to just go and enjoy watching. I liked watching it in class and noticing things together. It makes it easier for me to be able to notice things on my own when I watch my own movie.


I think that the movie “Dances with Wolves” was the most closely related to my film. I say that because it involves Native Americans, who are considered inferior. And in my movie “Radio” the main character is mentally retarded, also making him inferior. When we watched “Dances with Wolves”, you (Mr. C) mentioned that people shoot buffalo just to use them for their fur, and just left the rest to go to waste. That relates to the movie “Radio” as well, because the boys on the football team use Radio as a target for their rude comments and near-torturous acts that they do to Radio himself.

Anonymous said...

Obviously the film deconstruction that most helped me with ideas for my own paper was the deconstruction of my own movie, Dazed and Confused. I had a lot of ideas before I brought it to class, but a few more things came to my mind as we watched it, and as people talked. I just think the more times you watch it, the better your paper will be because you will just keep noticing new things. When I first watched my movie I didn't have a remote, so I couldn't stop when i wanted to take a closer look at things. But, when we watched it in class Mr. C stopped on the classroom poster that said 'Speak or be Spoken For', and that fits perfectly with the underlying theme of the movie and my paper. I think the movie is all about standing up for yourself, speaking for yourself, thinking for yourself, and living your life the way you want to live it and they way you think is the best, and I totally believe in the message I it is sending. Who is to say their idea of life and how to live it is better than yours? Also, I think there are so many symbols in all the scenes of the movie. For example, the mascot being the rebels, the baseball team being called the braves, and so many other things. I think the acting is amazing, and the actors/actresses were picked perfectly. Everyone that has ever attended high school is able to relate each character from the movie to a real-life character from their high school.

Anonymous said...

Obviously the film deconstruction that most helped me with ideas for my own paper was the deconstruction of my own movie, Dazed and Confused. I had a lot of ideas before I brought it to class, but a few more things came to my mind as we watched it, and as people talked. I just think the more times you watch it, the better your paper will be because you will just keep noticing new things. When I first watched my movie I didn't have a remote, so I couldn't stop when i wanted to take a closer look at things. But, when we watched it in class Mr. C stopped on the classroom poster that said 'Speak or be Spoken For', and that fits perfectly with the underlying theme of the movie and my paper. I think the movie is all about standing up for yourself, speaking for yourself, thinking for yourself, and living your life the way you want to live it and they way you think is the best, and I totally believe in the message I it is sending. Who is to say their idea of life and how to live it is better than yours? Also, I think there are so many symbols in all the scenes of the movie. For example, the mascot being the rebels, the baseball team being called the braves, and so many other things. I think the acting is amazing, and the actors/actresses were picked perfectly. Everyone that has ever attended high school is able to relate each character from the movie to a real-life character from their high school.

Jesse W said...

I think that the lord of the flies films helped me the most. we really dug deep on those ones and it helped me to understand what it means to deconstruct a film.

the film we performed in class that relates most to my film would also be the lord of the flies movies. They helped me to see what else is involved in film making and to look deeper into the plot and sometimes see symbols that relate to something that I would have never noticed before.

Josh B said...

period 1

Platoon was the movie that most stimulated my critical thinking skills, because it had alot of visual effects in it, and was more interesting. The way everything looked in the movie was similar to the way my movie, Donnie Darko, is set up. It made me pay closer attention to the movie because it was more along my tastes in movies.

Josh B said...

period 1

Platoon was the movie that most stimulated my critical thinking skills, because it had alot of visual effects in it, and was more interesting. The way everything looked in the movie was similar to the way my movie, Donnie Darko, is set up. It made me pay closer attention to the movie because it was more along my tastes in movies.

Josh B said...

period 1

Platoon was the movie that most stimulated my critical thinking skills, because it had alot of visual effects in it, and was more interesting. The way everything looked in the movie was similar to the way my movie, Donnie Darko, is set up. It made me pay closer attention to the movie because it was more along my tastes in movies.

Anonymous said...

pd. 1
I didn't get to watch many deconstruction films but the Fox and the Hound stimulated my thinking skills the most because it seems like such a simple movie and not much could be said about it, but paying close attention and deeply analyzing it showed me how much a movie can really be deconstructed. In this film, the copper and todd playfully pounce on each other but that can be seen in a more sexual side if you really analyze it. Even copper's name can be analyzed. It can refer to a cop like if copper is of importance or the color maybe describing his mood.

This movie relates to my movie because of the fact that the two main characters show a close bond. In the Notebook Ally and Noah are best friends and companions until outside forces separate them and they grow up. In the fox and the hound copper and todd form a strong bond as friends until their friendship is tugged at by aging and their differences. Copper and todd are two totally different characters because copper is supposed to hunt todd. They're from different upbringings. That's the same with Ally and Noah because they love each other until they find differences; she's from a wealthy family with her parents hopes of her marrying into a rich family while Noah comes from a poor family. Both stories have a happy ending though, when relationships are solved and strengthened for the better.

Stephanie B. said...

pd.3

I found that Tracy's movie, "Dazed and Confused", stimulated my critical thinking skills. We ended up watching the whole movie and pointed out each symbol and what each meant to eachother. It helped me notice things that I wouldn't have noticed in my own movie. I am having a hard time with my own movie but I deconstruct everyone else's just fine. I looked at my notes and most of them were summing up the movie, which is not what I want my paper to be about. Oh, and Mr. C, would you help me figure out a title for my paper? I was thinking something along the lines of Suspect the Unsuspected... only not so clicheish.

The movie that related to my paper would have to be LOTF. LOTF had symbols that could relate to pretty much anything. The savagry, the hunt, could be related to anything you can think of. In "The Usual Suspects" the savagry is the criminalism and the hunt is the job (to get money). They are what they are... human.

Tanya R. said...

period 5
#1
I'd probably say watching Requiem for a Dream in class helped me the most and helped me relate the closest to my movie well.. because it is my movie. I knew the movie was filled with symbols but I missed some of the most obvious, such as the repeating of mouths. Everything is placed where it is for a reason, including the people.

#2
Requiem for a Dream in my eyes compares to the needs and wants to fit in in everyday life. If your friends do drugs it's likely, although not gauranteed, that you'll do drugs. Sara Goldfarb in the beginning just wants to have the best spot in her group of friends. She wants to fit in, as does every other character in the movie. It relates to life more and more everytime I watch it.

Jaron A said...

Pd.5
I think Robert Mathisons film, American Gangster, stimulated my critical thinking skills the most. I have seen the movie numerous times so I know alot about the film, camera angles, action scenes, and so on. There is alot of action and I know alot about the movie so I can think about the movie more and know whats going to happen.
I also believe American Gangster is most closely related to my movie I am going to deconstruct, the Wizard of Oz. There is alot of life changing things in both movies. And that has alot to do in both movies, most events are life changing. For example, earning so much money through drugs, you don't know what to do with , or getting brains by the wizard and being able to be totally different. The image on the right has quite a few points that you can see just by looking at the photo. The girls are whispering like they shouldn't be, the photo looks as if the girls are whispering about another girl. The girls look mean because of this, hinting towards the title Mean Girls. Looks as if too much gossip is going on and the girls look materialistic.

Arielle S. said...

period 3
I personally thought that the movie Platoon was most stimulating. There were many different camera angles that made the movie feel like you were actually in it sometimes. I also like the music that was played everything seemed to fit really well together nothing seem over acted or acting as if they didn’t know what they were doing. I think it really helped to have a professional helping with the filming of the movie. Without him I don’t think the movie would have been the same.
The movie that I thought most resembled my four page essay would have to be Dazed and Confused both of the movies, Saint Ralph and Dazed and Confused, both showed someone or a group of people who felt the need to rebel or they were just born that way but either way they rebelled in school. The rebellion if you look at it closely really wasn’t all that different because Ralph was caught smoking in school in Dazed and Confused students were also known for smoking just a different kind of smoking. I believe that from watching the movies in class has definitely helped in writing the paper on the deconstruction of my movie.

Anonymous said...

pd. 1st

I would say watching the movie Platoon most stimulated my critical thinking because it is highly relatable to the movie I'm deconstructing, Troy. In Platoon it shows how men change once they go through the horros of war. Just like in Troy where Achilles changes his mind about war at the end. Platoon shows the evilness and horror of men and how savage they can be just the same as Troy. In Platoon they show little shimmers of light let the soldiers and the audience to realize the little hope they have their to survive or to go through hell and come back. I would also say PS I Love You also made me think hard because it makes you wonder how boyfriend is dead but still sending her letters and gifts. The movie just seems too perfect to be true but yet you feel moved by it and enjoy it.

Again I would say Platoon most relates to my paper I'm writing on the movie Troy. Both movies show the conflicts of war and how men become savages. But at the end of the movies they both end different. In Platoon, Charlie Sheen goes from nice and soft to a true soldier who isn't afraid to kill. While in Troy, Achilles goes from the greatest warrior to not wanting to fight anyone because a girl has won his love for her.

Thanh C. said...

Per 3

One of the films we deconstructed was I've love you so long, or at least I think thats the title. Besides the point, this movie had many symbolic traits we could see and anaylize beyond its aesthetic nature. The rain and many water referance, you mention Mr.c, is a perfect example. It is a beautiful thing to see, but it also had a symbolic perpose; cleansing of soul and conscience. This aspect of finding meaning behind beauty will greatly allow me to critically view my film Meet Joe Black and other things like the picture of Mean Girls you have. I have not personally seen this movie, for obviouse reason, but I have seen trailors. We see innocent Lindsy Lohan character being influenced by the corrupted egotistic character of Rachel McAdams. Rachel's character can be seen as the worlds conformity to an idea and Lindsy's as an individual who want to retain his, I use his because it is correct grammer, individuality but must stuggle with the push for conformity by others who want the world to be greyn or pink in this case.

Mr. Matt Christensen said...

From Kelli H:
The film deconstruction that we performed in class that most stimulated my critical thinking skills is when we deconstructed the Lord of the Flies videos. It was interesting yet weird that they could make the different films so much different from each other but still go along with the story so good. It really got me in the right frame of mind of how to deconstruct my own movie for the paper. Another tactic we did in class that helped in writing my paper is that the whole class got to see part of the film and help me deconstruct it with all there inputs to the movie. It helped me think in different ways and more deeply then I had thought before I had brought it to class for help in getting into the movie even more. That was a great opportunity for helping each other in deconstructing the movies.

Anonymous said...

Period 1

The film deconstruction of the Fox and The Hound definitely jump started my head. I never really realized that there is so much information in a movie. If you look close you can figure out the mood or the point the director is trying to get across to the viewers. The scene in the Fox and the Hound where Copper and Todd start wrestling reminded me that Disney has done this before. Yes, Todd and Copper are young and maybe Disney did not try to set the mood leaning towards homosexual but it really came off that way. Another movie that got me going was P.S. I Love You. Ireland is beautiful, there are so many screen shots of grazing green fields and the houses are old and cozy. The mood of that movie is definitely overcoming the death of a husband. And i think he makes it harder for her because he is trying live longer when he is already dead. I don't know if what he is doing by writing letters and such, talking to her while hes dead is making it easier for her. I don't know if i can relate any the movies we watched in class to a hockey movie. But, i enjoy watching and deconstructing videos in class.

Anonymous said...

the clips that i saw that got me the most into it was what we watched today with donnie darko. it kind of clicks with pulp fiction because not everything happens in order in pulp fiction so that it is the easiest thing to understand.

Alex T said...

5th
Gran Torino stimulated me the most because it was the best/ most interesting movie we have watched so far. Also I have already seen it, and that makes me understand and care about it more.

None of the movies are really that related to my movie, but Platoon would probably be the closest, because it is actual fighting, but it is also fighting against a greater cause.

Joey B said...

P.7
I would say that the film deconstruction that most stimulated my critical thinking was that of Platoon. This movie, by Stanley Kubrick, is excellently done as every shot and angle has more meaning than is seen on the surface. The soldiers are digging their foxholes at the beginning of the film which is very ironic as these will probably be graves for most of the men. This is a superb use of foreshadowing. Also, sunlight shines through the forest possibly symbolizing the hope that the soldiers have left. I would say this movie relates to mine, Man on Fire. In Platoon the soldiers are fighting for each other, they put the value of their friends lives above their own. In Man on Fire Creasy puts the value of Pitas life above his as he lays down his life for her in the end. When the young boys arrive in Vietnam they are very green and inexperienced. Charlie Sheen looks into the eyes of a man who has been there for awhile and sees what he has become. Their is no soul left, he has become a monster. Charlie can see what he will become just by looking into the face of a passing soldier for a second. Kubrick did an excellent job of creating the sounds and feelings of being in the jungle. We, as viewers can almost feel how muggy it is by the birds and bugs alone. The dark lighting also creates a very ominous mood. We are in anticipation for what might happen. There is no bright camera lights showing on the soldiers so they are very dim. This is done because their souls are very dim, they have lost all innocence through the brutality of Vietnam.

Nicole said...

Pd. 1
The film that I found that was the most deconstructable was Donnie Darko. The film had an interesting plot set up where the story was told out of order. The characters in the film were also very symbolic and relatable to the youthful age group. The rabbit was highly symbolic and the camera angles and lighting were very professionally done. Even though I have not seen the film, or have any background knowing what it was about, just watching the short clip of it was enough for me to want to go and rent it. Out of all the films we have watched in class, I can’t say that anyone is closely related to my film. But, I was gone on Friday so, I might have missed one that was. I do think that doing this in class is a good idea and little ideas about other films brings up bigger and more ideas in my film. I was noticing I was summarizing my film way too much in my paper and doing this in class helped me realize what my paper should really be about.

Sara B said...

period 1
I was glad I brought in my own movie to have the class view because it was good to get other's views and Mr. C's input on it. Some things were pointed out that i didnt see before and was helpful for me. All the kids in the class could relate because it is such a classic childrens movie that we all grew up with I think. I really enjoy watching other peoples movie and comparing them and thinking what they could deconstruct on theirs like I am on mine. Most of the movies i've never seen before and after seeing the short clips we watch of them has made me want to go out and rent them to finish them, especially I Loved you so Long and PS I Love you. This is a fun and good thing i think we are doing and pretty helpful too.

Anonymous said...

Period 1

The movie that was the closest to my movie had to be Platoon. It threw a bunch of young men into "hell" basically and the setting is a very hostile hot tropical setting. and in Mad Max 3 the setting is a barren desert but its like the same "hell". The conflicts in both movies match as well man vs man and man vs nature to survive. These movies show us what people actually went through and could go through if our nations leaders decide to drop the bombs of our fates and leave us to a post-apocalyptic world.

Darren N said...

prd 5

The movie that got me thinking the most was Gran Torino. Gran Torino contained a bunch of symbols such as the constant showing of the American flag in the background. Another thing was the racial lines that were crossed. That typically is not common in parts of Detroit. Thats why the old lady said he should move like the rest of the whites did.

The movie that most closely relates to my movie is Blood Diamond. The whole time I was watching Blood Diamond I couldnt help but think that everyone in Africa is their own type of prison. Everyone is looking for their ticket out. That relates to Shawshank Redemption because the basis of the movie is about prison.

Nick W said...

the movie that most stimulated me was donnie darko, while watching it I became very interested because it was unlike anything i have ever seen so i paid close attention regardless of wanting to deconstruct it and without even knowing it, I was deconstructing it, usually i cant deconstruct something i dont know or havent seen but this one was different.

And no movies that we really watched related to my movie besides maybe platoon because they are in a place that they cant escape just like in shawshank redemption

Mallory said...

p.3

Donnie Darko was the film that most stimulated my critical thinking skills because I was so confused the whole time. I had no clue what was going on, and I couldn't determine if it was suppoe to be a scary movie or just a weird movie. And because I was so confused, I had to really think critically to understand what was going on. Like relating and comparing the actions of Donnie and his dad really helped me figure out that Donnnie's dad acts like a teenager is kind of immature. And then noticing the different camera angles and the slow-mo part in the film helped me stimulate how to feel about a certain situtation. But honestly, thinking critically still did not help me with my confusion, so I guess I am going to have to watch the whole thing.

Lost in Translation relates most closely to my movie Fireproof. In Fireproof, the husband and wife are not happy and are fighting a lot, and the wife is also looking elsewhere. Lost in Translation, Scarlet is not satisfied with here photgrapher husband and is beginning to look else where when she offers a drink to Bill. Just the whole relationship part of it relates to Fireproof because in Fireproof, it's mostly about restoring and fixing a broken marriage.

Anonymous said...

7
1 The flim deconstruction that most stimulated my thinking was Friday Night Lights. It made me recall the thrill of football and i noticed alot of things that arn't true about the game yet wish they were. I noticed camera angles, special effects and how the underdog was about to win yet fell short.
2 The movie that most helped me relate to my paper was my own movie stepbrothers. Other peoples views and opionons helped me alot. It helped point out things i wouldn't have noticed my self and helped me watch for other things similar i can bring out and make my paper reach the full four pages.

Lindsey H said...

My movie (Juno), does not really relate to any of the movies we have viewed in class. However my movie is a comedy and has lots of humor. Saint Ralph, Burn After Reading, and Dazed and Confused also had humor. The movie that stimulated my critical thinking was I've Loved You So Long. Eventhough we did not get to see the whole thing, I was still entriged. The plot was very mysterious and made you wonder. It also makes you question what happens at the end. There were many symbols in that movie such as; water(rain, fountain, tears)- cleansing and purifying sins. This movie grabbed my attention and I really want to see the whole thing now. Saint Ralph also looks like a good movie. I like how humor is tied in to lighten up awkward feelings. I would like to watch the whole movie to see if Ralph gets his miracle. Overall, I think all the movies we watched in class are good choices to deconstruct. By watching the movies and taking notes I learned what to look for when I am watching my own movie.

Anonymous said...

Pd. 3

The movie Gran Torino was most helpful in my film deconstruction. It displayed a hardened old war veteran who shows compassion for his neighbors by defending their independence and eliminating the influence of evil. If the old man is viewed as America, it could be a reference to the cold war and a defense against the grip of communism in Asia. The domino theory was a defense mechanism designed to deny the communism's spread and defend U.S. territory by denying access overseas. If one country falls (the boy falls to the wishes of the gang members), then the U.S. would also be vulnerable. This deep symbolism was a failed attempt against communism, but can be viewed as a victory against racism and bigotry in this particular movie. No one can fight their battles alone, and this movie portrayed a prime example of people helping people. This past week and a half was very helpful in understanding movies more deeply.

Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Anonymous said...

I would have to say that the Lord of the Flies movies helped me the most. The way we got so into it was great practice on deconstructing my film, The Dark Knight. The way we got so in depth, and the way you helped all of us see the symbols has really made the way I see movies much different.
The Dark Knight also has symbols coming out of every corner. It is a very lengthy film, meaning the symbols are nearly endless. Moods change throughout the movie, from hopeful to sorrow.

Chris Steffen said...

period 7
The film we deconstructed in class that stimulated my critical thinking skills and most likely related to my paper was Man on Fire. This helped me realize that everything done in most films is for a reason. It rains at certain times, it is sunny as certain times, the darkness, the camera angle, and etc. All this comes together to show the bigger picture. Some scenes are not shown because they are not important and one can infer what happens. While other scenes are portrayed as the highlight of the movie. In the Man on Fire, Denzel was drunk and recollected all of his problems. The camera was blurred at points, shaky, and everything moved very fast. He tried to commit suicide but a very reliable gun misfired for a reason. All these points are very important to the deconstruction of films. This past week of deconstructing movies helped my out greatly with my paper and how i watch movies in general. I will attempt to fully deconstruct Four Brothers.

Derek G said...

p.5
The film that we deconstructed in class that helped me the most was Blood Diamond. I think the movie related to my four page paper because in Blood Diamond all the everyone was after the diamond. They all wanted it and were willing to kill each other for it. In my paper everyone is after Jason Bourne, they want him dead. Another film we watched that also kind of related was Taken. The girl just disappeard and had a ton of people trying to find her, like in my four page paper where everyone is looking for Bourne. I think both of these films and all the other ones greatly stimulated my critical thinking skills, it has taught me that there is alot more going on in the movie then what is actually on the screen. Like lighting, camera angles and random stuff in the shot.

Gil H said...

I thought American Gangster got me to really think because my movie is about gangs and how they are looking for somewhere they belong. And thats kinda what American Gangster was about.

Alexa S said...

pd5
The film that stimulated my thinking skills was TAken. It was very interesting and it made me think very hard on what was happening because it was happening so fast. Also the movie made you try to think about what the father was thinking. Also it made you look from his point of view. the camera was shaky when it showed the mom and father, but not when it showed the Sam character. None of the films related to my movie MOulin Rouge, but it helped me deconstruct my movie better by helping me see camera angles and lighting.

Justin D said...

Pd 5.
I mostly remember the movies Taken and American Gangster. Both got me to think about my film "Wanted" because they are a fraternity killing people like gangsters but also a guy getting revenge for his life/father like in Taken. Both movies helped me and this was a great idea to view/deconstruct movies.

Anonymous said...

Pd. 3

All of the movies stimulated my critical thinking skills in one way or another. I hadn’t seen most of them and now I want to get out and rent them. (or download them and watch them) I’ve seen platoon in the past, but it didn’t interest me then I was too young when I watched it and now seeing parts again really make me want to rewatch it since I would understand a lot more. I have a lot of family in the military.. Nothing like in Platoon, but it makes me think of them and when they go on trips for it. It reminds me of how I feel when one of them is gone. I’m happy they’re doing something for our country, but at the same time I miss them and would do anything to have them home. Not all of the men are there by choice. America is going through the same thing. Just the other night on an episode of Real World on MTV one guy now has to go back to Iraq, he was absolutely devastated. He obviously isn’t jumping for joy about having to back, I wouldn’t either. Every member of a war has their story, and even though the movie is centered around one person, it slowly uncovers and forshadows each member of their “platoon’s” stories. Also, many little things can be taken as symbolic, you just have to be open minded. For instance, when they are dropped off to the jungle, they are dumped off like boxes, not people. They are treated as cargo. It forshadows how they will soon be treated, like a box, a nothing, and close-minded in the sense that they can’t be outside of their box.

In an odd way, St. Ralph is one of the movies that closely relates to mine. In the sense that there is seriousness yet also intended comedy. In St. Ralph, the kid looks up to his teacher. The “outside” teacher. The one not like the others. Walt in Gran Torino is an outsider in his own neighborhood culture-wise, just like the Koreans all look up to Walt. Walt and the teacher are the people that strive the kids to be better, to be something, more than conforming to gangs in a neighborhood or even the class clown. If you just generalize both movies, they don’t seem that alike, but once you dig deeper they share many similarities.

Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Anonymous said...

pd.1
#1
We watched the movie platoon. This movie made me think about my movie alot. there were many situations that were similar and i dont know i think this helped me alot. the movie platoon also was alot like my movie as well...maybe not the story line so much but the strategic part of it....
#2
as much as i hate the movie Ps i love you it gave me great ideas..this movie has put me to sleep 3 times and i just cant get into it...but i was very glad we watched it. it made me think deeper into my film and get not only the obvious things but the deep stuff to that you wouldnt normally think about while watching a movie...

Paul H. said...

3
Gran Torino would have to be the film that most stimulated my critical thinking skills. It was a movie that I enjoyed watching and have seen several times, yet never looked at it beyond face value. Taking something that I genuinely liked and picking it apart to see why I liked it was very enjoyable and helped show me how to further deconstruct my own movie.

TJ P said...

The movie that most stimulated my mind was Friday Night Lights. Playing football, I saw the inaccuracies that were in the movie easier thanks to deconstructing it. Another example of deconstructing it was the ending. The quarterback sees some younger kids playing football. The camera has a close up and you can see that he is reminiscing to what his childhood was like.

The movie that is most like No Country For Old Men is Lord of the Flies. It shows how vulnerable everyone is and how anything can happen to anyone. They both have evil as a major theme.

Anonymous said...

Nick P. Per.5

I found that Requiem For A Dream most stimulated my critical thinking. Unlike 99% of hollywood films, this movie actually portrays a realistic story of how life doesn't always end in happy endings. It deals with addiction, feelings of hope as well as despair, loneliness and evil. While most will find this movie to be depressing, I think it offers a lesson in life and viewers should learn from the mistakes of the characters so they may live a better life.

I found Blood Diamond to be a perfect match to my movie There Will Be Blood. Leonardo DiCaprio and Daniel Day-Lewis both play greedy, heartless, narcissistic and evil men who are only interested in obtaining the diamond & oil that will ensure that they are materialistically wealthy men.

Anonymous said...

Period 7

1. The film that we watched today, "Lost in Translation", probably got me thinking the most in terms of deconstruction. It may have been because I really was not all that into any of the other films. These characters seemed deep. There was just more that I got from all of it. The girl is so skinny, it looks as though she is starving. She is not only starving food-wise though, she is also starving for love. She is alone all day with nothing to do, and even when she goes out into the hustle and bustle of the city, she is still painfully alone. 103

2. Considering as how I missed three days worth of movie viewing, I do not know if this movie is really the closest movie to my own. However, comparing to the murder and sports, it is definitely closer. "Lost in Translation" is somewhat like "Ten Things I Hate About You" in the way that they both involve two people who you would never expect to become intimate with each other. It is not the hot, sexy of intimate that our society pushes on us. It is more personal and more fulfilling in my opinion.

Anonymous said...

-sorry this is late but I just got home from the ShineDown concert, which was amazing!

I would have to agree with nicolette, "Lost in Translation" got me thinking about all of the little things that go into making a movie "reach" a viewer. I think that the director does a good job of portraying what it would be like to be lost in translation, literally and figuratively. This movie is realistic because there is not constant action to move the plot forward, instead there are many moments of quiet that we share with the characters that make us reflect on ourselves. "Lost in Translation" really got me thinking how much work goes into creating a certain mood or scene in the viewer and how directors almost have to be psychologists and get into the viewers mind to appeal to them.

Brittney R said...

pd. 3
one of the films we deconstructed in class that helped me was Lost in Translation. It helped me think about the little things and actually made me pry into the movie. I can't really say what movie best closely relates to my movie ( I was also gone for 3 days).

Casey S said...

3
The film that I liked best was Donnie Darko. I enjoy films that actually have depth to them and make the audience think. Even though we only saw a portion of the film, I believe it was done creatively. Who would think a bunny could be evil or controlling? Not a lot of people, until this movie has been seen. The beginning of this movie is also puzzling, why would a young man be sleeping in the middle of a street, next to a cliff even. When the boy wakes up, he doesn’t even seem bothered by his night escapades that he is not aware of. Is Donnie in a trance or is Donnie just that messed up?

Most of the movies I can relate some part of my movie too, like how Osborn Cox has an alcohol addiction and in Dazed and Confused most of the kids are druggies or alcoholics. Or even in Thelma and Louise, when Thelma is a married woman yet she has an affair while George Clooney’s character, Harry, keeps having affairs as well. Thelma is also looking for love and the feeling of being wanted, just the Linda, in Burn after Reading, who wants all the surgeries and needs the feeling of acceptance and belonging. Linda also wants to be loved, which is why she turns to a dating service to where she meets Harry. In Burn after Reading, some of the characters are always being watched to see what their actions and motives are which can relate to the movie Saint Ralph. The Father is always watching Ralph, or even the other boys, like a Big Brother figure.

Anonymous said...

Pd. 3
I thought it was very interesting to learn that everything in filming is done on purpose. I learned through watching other movies what to look for in my film while I deconstruct it. The film that most closely relates to my movie would have to be Lord of the Flies. In LOTF they lose all civilization and it represents war, and in my movie Blindness they lose all civilization and it could also represent war. I think it is interesting how much research goes into a single movie to make it correct. The psychology researched in movies is incredible. In Blindness they use tough times to show how people in certain situations do things. It has been fun learning to deconstruct movies.

Casey N said...

period 5
I agree with Nick P. That movie makes you really think about things differently and its not the typical hollywood movie. The movie that was like mine in a way was Taken. It makes you really think about what can happen to you. It matches my movie because there is strangers outside the house and all around the house trying to get the couple and kill them

Brittany S said...

pd.1
We deconstructed my movie in class, this was the only one that related to my movie. By deconstructing part of my movie in class it helped to get my paper rolling, i had most of my paper done by the time we did it, but it helped to further my thinking skills. By practicing ahead of time with different movies it really helped me to deconstruct my paper and really look more in depth into my movie.

Kelsey M said...

period 5.
The film deconstruction we do in class is really helping me see what things to be watching for and looking for when I watch my film. The fim we watched in class that most relates to my film was I Loved You So Long. It shows how much parents really care for their children and what lengths they will take in order to stop their children from pain and suffering. In my film Taken the father will do whatever is necessary to find his kidnapped daughter. Go on 96 hours of no sleep, lie, steal, even kill to get his daughter back. In I loved you so long, it stimulated my critical thinking and it made me think why would a mother kill her own child? Anyone could say she was crazy and not right but when you dig deep enough you find that she really loved her son too much to see him suffer any longer, and the only person that was going to decide whether her son lived in agony any longer or rest in peace was the person that brought him into this world.

It's still difficult for me to stop just watching the movie and just deconstruct my film's lighting and angles and really dig but I'm working on it.

ps my computer has been broken and I haven't really had a chance to get to a computer lately, sorry.

Robert M said...

period 5

Out of all the movies that seemed most similar to American Gangster i would say gran torino and blood diamond. Blood Diamond deals with a man who is doing terrible things in order to help his family have a better life, same situation Frank Lucas has when being a gangster and killing people for simply not paying there debt, but will also buy a house for his mother so that has a comparison. Gran Torino showed the darker side of American Gangster dealing with racism, in the sense of a white man hating a specific group of people just because of there color, many people in the 60 and early 70's were against african americans in american gangsters so that was interesting. In a way mean girls shows a group of young people being the leader of everyone else, people go to the mean girls for advice, like citizens and addicts go to the mob for money or food or drugs so there is many similarities.

Anonymous said...

Period 1

i missed a lot of the movies that we analyzed in class, but i liked analyzing the movies no country for old men and the fox and the hound, they really helped me look deeper into the movie, especially the movie the fox and the hound because i have seen it countless times, but only saw the service, not what it might it entails when deeply analyzed. Especially when some of the stuff really shouldn't be in a kids movie, from an adult perspective, but kids aren't as aware as we are.

As far as relating to mine i would say no country for old men and possibly the fox and the hound again. Because in each movie there is a charcter of a free, or emotional basis, and there is a character purely based on rules, and is in one's own head so to speak.

Anonymous said...

We analyzed step brothers and how childish fighting in older men was and why it was funny. We also found out how lighting can affect a scene in a movie. Camera angles also create different feeling for people when watching movies. We analyzed many movies but none really helped with my movie

Nicole O. said...

pd. 3
I believe that deconstructing my own movie in class gave me a little more insight on how to deconstruct the movie. Watching the movie out of my own space and in an actual learning environment helped alot!

To me none of the movies we deconstructed in class really related to my paper but I did get into every movie we deconstructed in class and do plan to rent and watch the ones I have not seen. I had different feelings about each movie that is why none seemed to be like mine.

Anonymous said...

They only movie that was somewhat similar to my movie was Saint Ralph. He has the same conflict has my main character but decides to become a saint than a demon.

all the other movies kinda helped me to see other things in movies but thats about it. I do want to rent some of the movies we saw in class.

Anonymous said...

period 5
requiem for a dream helped me the most because i enjoyed the 5 minutes we watched of it . i think it helped me because i thought the most about it and deconstructed it in my head. i think all the moves were good in the class,